“Souvlaki is a Greek specialty made with tender cuts of meat. In this pork skewer recipe, the meat is marinated in a mixture of lemon olive oil.” You just can’t go to Greece without tasting souvlaki. It’s a great Greek street food, and it just happens to be one of my favorites.
Ingredients For Souvlaki Marinade
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp each Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/4 cup private reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 1/2 lb organic boneless skinless chicken breast, fat removed, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- Greek pita bread
- Tzatziki Sauce
- Sliced tomato, cucumber, onions, and Kalamata olives
Also Read: Sticky Toffee Pudding Cake
INSTRUCTIONS of Sticky Toffee Pudding Cake
- Prepare the marinade. In the bowl of a small food processor, add the garlic, oregano, rosemary, paprika, salt, pepper, olive oil, white wine and lemon juice. Pulse until well combined.
- Place the chicken in a large bowl and add the bay leaves. Garnish with marinade. Mix to combine, making sure the chicken is well coated with marinade. cover tightly and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight (see note for faster marinating option.)
- Soak 10 to 12 wooden skewers in water for about 30 to 45 minutes. Prepare the sauce and other fixings, and if you add salad or other accompaniments, prepare them too. When ready, place the marinated chicken pieces on the prepared skewers.
- Prepare the outdoor grill (or the hot plate). Brush the grates with a little oil and heat over medium-high heat.
- Place the chicken skewers on the grill (or cook in batches on the hot plate) until they are golden brown and the internal temperature registers 155 ° on an instant reading thermometer.
- Make sure to turn the skewers evenly to cook on all sides, about 5 minutes in total. While cooking, brush lightly with the marinade. Transfer the chicken to a serving dish and let stand for 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, briefly grill the pita and keep warm. Assemble the souvlaki pitas with grilled chicken.
- First, spread the Tzatziki sauce over the pita bread, add the chicken pieces (remove them from the skewers first, of course), then add the vegetables and olives.