You are sure to relish the succulent inner and crisp outer of this unique starter. Made of cooked and chopped spaghetti, complemented by green peas, cheese and seasonings, these balls are interestingly held together by white sauce, which mashes well with the other ingredients once it is cooled. The Spaghetti Balls are rolled in bread crumbs to get a nice crust upon deep-frying. It is essential to serve this snack immediately on preparation because spaghetti, cheese and white sauce tend to get chewy on cooling.
Preparation Time: Cooking Time: Total Time: Makes 9 balls
1/2 cup boiled and chopped spaghetti
3/4 cup plain flour (maida)
2 tbsp butter
1 cup milk
1/2 cup boiled and crushed green peas
1/4 cup grated processed cheese
1 tsp dry red chilli flakes (paprika)
salt to taste
bread crumbs for rolling
oil for deep-frying
- Combine ½ cup plain flour and approx. ¾ cup of water in a bowl and mix well. Keep aside.
- Heat the butter in a broad non-stick pan, add the remaining ¼ cup of plain flour and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring continuously.
- Add the milk, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, or till the mixture leaves the sides of the pan, while stirring continuously using a whisk.
- Transfer the mixture into a plate and keep aside to cool completely.
- Once cooled, add the spaghetti, green peas, cheese, chilli flakes and salt and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 9 equal portions and shape each portion into a round ball.
- Dip the balls in the plain flour-water mixture flour and roll it in bread crumbs till they are evenly coated from all the sides.
- Refrigerate them for at least 15 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadhai, and deep-fry, a few balls at a time on a medium flame till they turn golden brown in colour from all the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper.
- Serve immediately with tomato ketchup.