There is a croquette for everyone, vegetarians included, and Spanish people love to experiment with different ingredients. I’ve seen everything from wild mushroom croquettes (delicious!) to chocolate croquettes.
- Prep time- 30 mins
- Cook time- 15 mins
- Total time- 45 mins
Ingredients of Spanish Croquettes
- 60 grams/4 T unsalted butter
- 60 grams/1/4 C olive oil
- A bit less than 1 C of flour (120 grams)
- One medium onion very finely diced
- 1 Liter (1/4 gallon) whole milk at room temperature
- A pinch of nutmeg
- 1 packet (250 grams) of jamón Serrano diced into small pieces
- Flour for breading
- 2 beaten eggs
- Bread crumbs
Instructions of Spanish Croquettes
- Melt the butter and heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and sauté for a few minutes until it begins to brown.
- Add a pinch of salt and the nutmeg. Add the diced ham and sauté for another 30 seconds.
- Add the flour and stir continuously until the flour turns a light brown color.
- You must not stop stirring or the flour will burn! When the flour changes color, add the milk little by little, always stirring until you incorporate the entire quantity.
- It should take about 20 minutes to add everything. Turn off the heat and let the dough cool a little.
- Butter the sides of a large bowl or plastic wrap and wrap the kibble inside, directly covered with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate at least 4 hours but preferably overnight. To make the ham croquettes, shape them into small logs.
- Then, while heating a pan full of olive oil on the stove, pass the kibble through the breading process.
- Cover them first with flour, then with egg and finally with breadcrumbs.
- Fry the ham croquettes in hot oil and let them cool for a few minutes before tasting them!