When printing spicy cookie dough scented with springerle molds, stop frequently to clean the patterns with the tip of a skewer. This allows a better impression in the dough and the resulting cookie. I think these cookies, or some form of them, will become a family favorite because of the shape, flavor and process. The boys were very excited to see the cookies come out of the oven and couldn’t wait to dive.
- Prep Time –1 hr
- Cook Time –18 mins
- Total Time –1 hr 18 mins
Ingredients Of Speculaas
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
ALSO READ: Krusciki (Polish Bow-Tie Fritters)
Instructions of Speculaas
- In the medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, cilantro, ginger, cloves, baking soda, salt and white pepper. In the bowl of the stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add half of the flour mixture and mix, then add the milk and the remaining flour mixture and mix. Divide the dough and form it into 2 discs and wrap each in plastic.
- Refrigerate, covered, up to 2 hours. Preheat the oven. Work with 1 disc at a time, break small pieces of dough and press into a floured cookie pan.
- The dough should fill the mold area and there could be some sticking to the mold, which is okay, just press lightly against a flat surface to smooth it out.
- Press the long edge of the pan on the counter to loosen the cookies. Transfer the dough pieces to the prepared baking sheets, spacing the pieces 2 inches apart.
- Refrigerate the cookies on the pans in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes. Bake in preheated oven until golden brown, about 16 to 18 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on the mold for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in airtight containers.