Spicy Chicken Taquitos is a great way to use up leftover chicken and will transform it into a whole new dish. You can serve the taquitos ‘naked’ and allow your guests to top them or make a ‘taquito bar’ with assorted toppings on the side.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
INGREDIENTS of Spicy Chicken Taquitos
- 1 ½ lb chicken breast
- 7 oz can chipotle peppers in adobo
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 ½ tsp dark chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp granulated garlic
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 ½ cups shredded Monterey jack cheese
- Shredded lettuce
- Diced Roma tomato
- Mexican crema or sour cream
- Fresh Cilantro
- Cotija Cheese
How to Make Spicy Chicken Taquitos
- Combine all the dry spices in a bowl and mix them.
- Add chicken broth to slow cooker, then add chicken breasts.
- Put half the seasoning over the chicken and then flip over to add the rest of the seasoning on top of chicken. Add the chopped chipotle peppers over the top.
- Place lid on the slow cooker for 8 hours.
- Once the chicken is finished cooking, remove the two breasts and place them on a cutting board.
- Once the chicken is fully shredded, return it to the slow cooker and mix it with all the delicious juices.
- Take a damp paper towel and wrap the stack of corn tortillas and place on a plate and microwave for 1 minute then flip.
- The tortillas need to be warm and pliable or they will break when rolling. As you roll the taquitos, close the paper towel each time to keep the others warm.
- Lay down a corn tortilla and add two spoons of the shredded chicken followed by shredded cheese on top.
- Tightly roll the taquito and secure with a toothpick.
- Preheat oven and bake the taquitos, brush each side with oil.
- Bake in the oven 15 minutes, flipping halfway through until golden brown. Remove from the oven and remove the toothpicks.
- Add the oil in a kadhai and heat the oil.
- Place the taquito seam side down and fry then flip and fry the other side until the taquito is golden.
- Remove the taquito and place on a paper towel.
- You can serve the taquitos ‘naked’ and make a ‘taquito bar’ with assorted toppings.
- Drizzle crema put over the taquitos with a spoon, add diced tomatoes, fresh cilantro, crumbled cotija over the top. Dip in the homemade salsa.