Try these wonderful fish cakes, steamed in banana leaves for an authentic taste of Malaysia.
INGREDIENTS Of Spicy fish cakes in banana leaves
- 500g redfish fillets
- 100ml water
- 2 TBS tapioca flour
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 TBS Poloku mushroom stock granules or Knorr chicken stock granules
- 1 TBS fish curry powder
- 2 eggs
- 200ml coconut cream
- ¼ TBS chilli powder
- 1 tsp belacan granules
- 2 TBS minced kaffir lime leaves
- ½ cup fried shallots
- Banana leaves for wrapping – 5 x 4-inch pieces
- Stapler or bamboo skewers to secure the leaves
ALSO READ: Malaysian laksa
INSTRUCTIONS Of Spicy fish cakes in banana leaves
- Mix the tapioca flour and the pepper in the water.
- Put the fish and the water / flour / pepper mixture in a food processor and mix until the fish turns into a paste.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl and add all other ingredients. Mix well.
- Put 2 Tablespoon fish on banana leaf, fold sides and staple ends.
- Brush with a little oil and cook in a pan or on a barbecue for about 4 minutes on each side, or until cooked through.
- Serve (remove the banana leaf wrap before eating).