Preparation Time: Cooking Time: Total Time: Makes 4 sandwiches
8 slices of whole wheat bread
8 sliced onions
2 tsp low-fat butter for cooking
For The Sprouts Mixture
1 cup boiled mixed sprouts (moong , i415 , chana etc.)
2 tsp oil
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
2 tsp ginger-garlic (adrak-lehsun) paste
1 tsp finely chopped green chillies
2 tsp pav bhaji masala
2 tsp coriander-cumin seeds (dhania-jeera) powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1/2 tsp black salt (sanchal)
1 1/2 cups finely chopped tomatoes
salt to taste
1/2 cup boiled , peeled and mashed potatoes
For the sprouts
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes or till they turn translucent.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for another minute.
- Add the pav bhaji masala, coriander-cumin seeds powder, turmeric powder, black salt, tomatoes, salt and 2 tbsp of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the sprouts and potatoes, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 more minute.
- Divide the sprouts mixture into 4 equal portions and keep aside.
How to proceed
- Place one whole wheat bread slice on a flat, dry surface and spread a portion of the sprouts mixture evenly over it.
- Top it with 2 onion slices and sandwich using another slice of whole wheat bread.
- Pre-heat the griller and grill the sandwich using ½ tsp of low-fat butter till the sandwich turns crisp and brown in colour from both the sides.
- Repeat steps 1 to 3 to make 3 more sandwiches.
- Spicy Sprouts Sandwich are ready. Serve immediately.
|Value per sandwich||% Daily Values|
|Vitamin A||290.4 mcg||6%|
|Vitamin B1 (Thiamine)||0.1 mg||10%|
|Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)||0.1 mg||9%|
|Vitamin B3 (Niacin)||0.7 mg||6%|
|Vitamin C||20.2 mg||51%|
|Folic Acid (Vitamin B9)||28.2 mcg||14%|