Sprout salad recipe. Moong Coleslaw is a very easy, tasty and very healthy salad recipe. Low fat, gluten free and vegan recipe.
This moong sprouts salad is especially good for people who don’t have much time to cook or don’t know much about cooking, especially students who are studying at a hostel or staying away from their families for work or study. A great recipe for summers.
Although you can get ready-made sprouted moong beans in the market. But it’s always better and healthy to sprout moong beans at home.
Once the moong beans have sprouted, we have a quick salad recipe on hand and we can easily flavor it to your liking. You can be really innovative by making this salad spicy, crunchy, tangy or sweet. a lot is possible with sprouted moong beans. They are often added in some Indian recipes such as pani puri or bhel puri or usal or dahi papdi chaat.
In this sprout salad recipe, we have to steam or boil the sprouts until they are completely cooked. The water we use to boil the sprouts is usually thrown away. But this water is very healthy and can be used for cooking or can be given to your plants or herbs that you grow in your vegetable garden. If you want the moong sprouts to be crunchy, you can even keep them half-cooked.
Variations you can make in coleslaw
- I usually add the finely chopped onion, tomato, green pepper and sprinkle with black salt and a few drops of lemon on it. This is how I often prepare this salad for breakfast. Oh yeah, it’s the only salad we have for breakfast.
- In addition to onions and tomatoes, you can also add boiled potatoes. You can also replace the boiled potatoes with boiled sweet potatoes.
- If you want a sweet salad, add any fruits and dried fruits of your choice. citrus fruits like orange and lime will go well with moong shoots. Other fruits that you can add are pomegranate or mangoes.
- You can also increase the nutritional value of this salad by adding roasted peanuts or seeds like sunflower, sesame, and pumpkin.
How to make a moong shoot salad
1. You must first germinate the moong beans.
2. Once the moong shoots are ready, rinse them with water.
3. Steam or boil them until the moong shoots are cooked through. If you want a crunchy taste you can even keep it half-cooked.
4. Then drain the water from the cooked moong shoots.
5. Measure out all the ingredients and get ready to make a moong shoot salad.
Make a coleslaw
6. Take 2 cups of steamed or boiled moong shoots in a large bowl or container.
7. Add 1 finely chopped small onion and 1 finely chopped medium tomato.
8. Then add 1 finely chopped green pepper and 1 boiled potato (optional).
9. Then add ¼ teaspoon of red chili powder and ½ or 1 teaspoon of chaat masala (optional).
10. Stir very well.
11. Finally, season with salt and pour in 1 teaspoon of lemon juice or as needed. Mix well.
12. Garnish with cilantro leaves.
13. Immediately serve the moong shoot salad with a few lemon wedges.