Sprouts Khichdi ( Baby and Toddler): A fast-growing baby needs super-foods like this to keep her charged! This yummy khichdi made with mixed sprouts has a hint of subtle spices like onions and garlic.
If your baby enjoys this, it will ensure that meal times are splatter-free, more enjoyable and more satisfying for both of you.
While the child will enjoy the textures and flavours in the dish, you will bask in the happiness of having fed her a nutritious meal! Fresh curd makes a perfect accompaniment for the Sprouts Khichdi.
Preparation Time: Cooking Time: Total Time: Makes 1 cup
2 tbsp mixed sprouts (moong , chana , I190 etc.)
2 tbsp rice (chawal) , soaked for 15 minutes and drained
1/2 tsp ghee
1/4 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
1/2 tsp garlic (lehsun) paste
1 tsp finely chopped onions
restricted quantity of salt
- Heat the ghee in a pressure cooker and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida and garlic paste and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the rice and mixed sprouts and sauté on a medium flame for another 30 seconds
- Add ¾ cup of water and salt, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid
- Coarsely mash the khichdi using the back of a spoon.
- Serve lukewarm with fresh curds.
|Value per cup||% Daily Values|
|Vitamin A||30.9 mcg||1%|
|Vitamin B1 (Thiamine)||0.7 mg||70%|
|Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)||0.1 mg||9%|
|Vitamin B3 (Niacin)||2.7 mg||23%|
|Vitamin C||3.2 mg||8%|
|Vitamin E||0 mg||0%|
|Folic Acid (Vitamin B9)||2.3 mcg||1%|