Steamed Wontons, Veg Steamed Wonton: Like Modak and Parathas in India, wontons are a wonderful food in Chinese cuisine, as they provide a lot of scope for innovation. You can try your hand at making various unique fillings, and also Steam or Deep-fry the wontons as per your taste.
Here is a sumptuous version of Steamed Wontons made with a wholesome mixture of sautéed veggies, sprouts and noodles, which is stuffed into readymade wonton wrappers and steamed.
Topping the wontons with a tempering of garlic, green chillies and spring onion greens, along with flavourful sauces, makes it all the more attractive.
Preparation Time: Cooking Time: Total Time: Makes 25 wontons
For The Stuffing
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp finely chopped garlic (lehsun)
1 cup finely chopped cabbage
1/4 cup finely chopped spring onions whites
1/2 cup grated carrot
3/4 cup bean sprouts
3/4 cup boiled noodles
1 tbsp finely chopped spring onion greens
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp chilli sauce
salt to taste
25 wonton wrappers
1/4 tsp oil for greasing
3 tbsp plain flour (maida) dissolved in 1/4 cup
1 tbsp oil
2 tsp chopped garlic (lehsun)
1/2 tsp chopped green chillies
2 tbsp chopped spring onion greens
salt to taste
green garlic (lehsun) sauce
chilli garlic (lehsun) sauce
For the stuffing
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan on a high flame till it smokes, add the garlic, cabbage, spring onion whites, carrots, bean sprouts and sauté on a high flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the noodles, spring onion greens, soy sauce, chilli sauce and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 30 seconds. Keep aside.
How to proceed
- Place a wonton wrapper on a clean, flat surface.
- Place a little stuffing in the centre and apply a little flour paste along the edges.
- Fold over one part to make a semi-circle.
- Bring the ends together and press well.
- Repeat with the remaining wrappers and stuffing to make 24 more wontons.
- Arrange half the wontons on a greased sieve and steam for 8 minutes.
- Repeat step 6 to cook the remaining wontons in one more batch.
- For the tempering, heat the oil in a small broad non-stick pan on a high flame, add the garlic, green chillies, spring onion greens and salt and sauté on a high flame for a few seconds.
- Pour the tempering over the steamed wontons.
- Serve hot with green garlic sauce and chilli garlic sauce.
- Instead of steaming the wontons at step 4, you can also deep-fry them in hot oil till they are golden brown in colour form all the sides.
Nutrient values per wonton
|Vitamin A||57.4 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin C||4.8 mg|
|Folic Acid||1.2 mcg|