A stroopwafel is a thin, round waffle cookie made from two layers of sweet baked dough held together by caramel filling.
Ingredients of Stroopwafel
- 2/3 cup Dutch Stroop
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 oz unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon table salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 1/4 teaspoons dry yeast
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 3 cups all purpose flour
How to make Stroopwafel
- Combine the stroop, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon and salt in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until the sugar and butter are melted.
- Combine the milk and yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat them until the yeast is dissolved.
- Add the eggs, melted butter and sugar.
- With the mixer running on low, add the cinnamon and salt.
- Add the flour and mix until most of the flour is incorporated.
- Turn the dough out into a lightly floured surface and knead into a ball. The dough is quite soft.
- Divide the dough into pieces.
- Roll each piece to a ball and line them up on a sheet pan. Cover with plastic wrap for 1 hour.
- Preheat the waffle iron.
- Place it on the waffle iron and close the iron.
- Bake until golden brown.
- Immediately use a knife with a thin sharp blade to split and open up the waffle. Generously spread the inside of the waffle with stroop and sandwich the two halves together.