Learn how to make sweet and buttery pancakes, melt in your mouth with this easy and simple recipe! Along with the endless filling choices, they make brunch more fun! You can have this dish for breakfast or for dessert. A crepe (pronounced KREP) is a thin pancake that originated from Brittany, in the northwest of France.
INGREDIENTS of Sweet French Crepes
- ½ c unbleached all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ c milk
- 1 Tbsp cold water
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
CLASSIC FRENCH FILLINGS
- Nutella and banana
- Grand Marnier
- Butter (or lemon juice) and sugar
- Jam or fruit preserves
- Whipped cream and berries
- Strawberries and chocolate sauce
- Butter and cinnamon
- Powdered sugar and maple syrup
How To Make Sweet French Crepes
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour and salt. In another bowl, combine the egg, milk, water and melted butter.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and mix until blended. (Your batter will be much thinner than typical pancake batter.) Set the batter aside to rest for 15 minutes.
- When you’re ready to bake your pancakes, heat an 8-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Coat the bottom of the pan with a little butter.
- Pour enough batter into the hot pan to barely cover the pan, turning the pan so the batter covers the entire bottom. Cook the pancakes for 1 to 2 minutes on the first side.
- Flip the pancake when the top starts to look dry and cook an additional 10 to 15 seconds on the second side.
- Remove the pancake from the pan and wrap it in a tea towel to keep it soft and warm. Grease the pan again if necessary and repeat with the rest of the batter.
- To serve, place a layer of filling in the middle of the pancake and fold the sides over the filling.