YIELD: Serves 4 to 8
TOTAL TIME: 30-40 minutes
- About 2 cups of sweet potatoes
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, or more as required
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Heat the oven to 200°F. Line a baking sheet or baking sheet with paper towels. Peel and grate the sweet potatoes and squeeze or dry them if necessary; you want 3 wrapped mugs; save the rest for later.
- Combine the cornmeal, egg, flour, grated sweet potato, onion, sprinkle with salt and pepper and mix well with a fork. If the mixture seems too runny, add more flour, 1 tbsp at a time. (You can prepare the batter ahead of time and refrigerate for up to a few hours before baking.)
- Put 2 inches of oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. When the oil is hot, gently drop spoonfuls of sweet potato into the pan. (Work in batches to avoid overloading the pot.)
- Cook, turning them with tongs or a skimmer if necessary to brown on all sides, until cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer the finished donuts to the paper towel-lined plate and place in the oven to keep them warm while you prepare the rest. Serve hot or at room temperature, with more salt and pepper if desired.