Here’s a delicious version of halwa that’s prepared using sweet potato or shakarkandi, and is a nutritious treat for those suffering from high blood pressure as sweet potatoes are known to have a low potassium and sodium content. This dessert recipe is low in calories and is an ideal treat for winter dinners. The best part about sweet potatoes is that they contain naturally sweet, so you don’t need too much of sugar while making the halwa. It is perfect for people who want to have some sweet dish but are also conscious about their health.
Ingredients of Sweet Potato Halwa
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered green cardamom
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 2 tablespoon mixed dry fruits
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 1/2 cup sweet potato
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron
- 2 tablespoon lukewarm milk
Also Read: Sabudana Khichdi (Navratri Special)
How to make Halwa
- To prepare this delicious halwa, boil the sweet potatoes in a pressure cooker. When finished, let them cool. Then peel and mash the sweet potatoes in a bowl and set aside. Take a small bowl and mix the warm milk and the saffron sprigs to prepare the saffron milk. Keep this saffron milk aside until it is needed.
- Now place a thick non-stick skillet over a medium flame and melt ghee in it. Once the ghee is melted, add the sweet potato puree and sauté for 2-3 minutes until they are light brown in color.
- Then put the milk in the pan with the cardamom powder, sugar and water. Stir to mix well and cook the sweet potatoes for about 7 to 8 minutes. Make sure to stir continuously as there is a good chance the sweet potatoes will stick to the bottom.
- Finally, add the saffron milk to the pan with the chopped mixed dried fruit. Stir to mix well and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring continuously. Once the milk is completely absorbed, put out the flame and serve hot. You can garnish the sweet potato halwa with drier (chopped) fruit and saffron sprigs.