Tabbouleh or parsley salad with cracked wheat, makes a colorful, fresh and delicious aperitif. The varied colors of fresh herbs and tomatoes provide a range of nutrients, and lemon juice provides an extra dose of vitamin C. Add a few grilled chickpeas to increase the protein content, and you’ve got a full meal!
INGREDIENTS Of Tabbouleh (Healthy Heart)
- 1/2 cup bulgur wheat
- 4 firm Roma tomatoes, very finely chopped
- 1 English cucumber (hothouse cucumber), very finely chopped
- 2 bunches parsley, part of the stems removed, washed and well-dried, very finely chopped
- 12–15 fresh mint leaves, stems removed, washed, well-dried, very finely chopped
- 4 green onions, white and green parts, very finely chopped
- 3–4 tbsp lime juice (lemon juice, if you prefer)
- 3–4 tbsp virgin olive oil
- Romaine lettuce leaves to serve, optional
Also Read: Air Fried Ravioli
INSTRUCTIONS Of Tabbouleh (Healthy Heart)
- Wash the bulgur and soak it in water for 5 to 7 minutes. Drain well (squeeze the bulgur wheat by hand to remove any excess water). Put aside.
- Finely chop the vegetables, herbs and green onions as shown above. Make sure to place the tomatoes in a colander to drain the excess juice.
- Place the chopped vegetables, herbs and green onions in a mixing bowl or dish. Add the bulgur and season with salt. Mix gently.
- Now add the lime juice and olive oil and mix again.
- For best results, cover the tabouli and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Transfer to a serving dish.
- If desired, serve the tabouli with a side of pita and romaine lettuce leaves, which serve as wraps or “boats” for the tabouli.