Tava Rice ( Microwave Recipe): A simple and quick cure for a sudden bout of hunger! you can even toss this up as brunch or supper for kids. But, who needs a tava in this modern ear?
Preparation Time: Cooking Time: Total Time: Makes 4 servings
For The Rice (makes Approx. 2 1/4 Cups)
3/4 cup rice (chawal)
3 whole dry kashmiri red chillies , broken into pieces
3 garlic (lehsun) cloves
3 tbsp oil
1/2 cup thinly sliced onions
1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1/2 cup thinly sliced capsicum
1/2 cup finely chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp curds (dahi)
salt to taste
For The Garnish
4 tbsp grated processed cheese
For the rice
- Soak the rice in enough water for 30 minutes and drain well.
- Combine the drained rice along with 1½ cups of hot water in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for 8 minutes or till the rice is cooked well. Keep aside.
How to proceed
- Combine the red chillies and garlic along with 1 tbsp of water and grind in a mortar-pestle (khalbhatta) to a coarse paste. Keep aside.
- Put the oil in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for 30 seconds.
- Add the onions, mix well and microwave on high for 1 minute.
- Add the prepared chilli-garlic paste, mix well and microwave on high for 1 minute.
- Add the turmeric powder, capsicum, tomatoes and curds, mix well and microwave on high for 1 minute, stirring once in between after 30 seconds.
- Add the cooked rice and salt, mix well and microwave on high for 2 minutes, stirring once in between after 1 minute.
- Fill in an aluminium bowl and de-mould.
- Serve immediately garnished with cheese.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||207.3 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.7 mg|
|Vitamin C||14.4 mg|
|Folic Acid||9.1 mcg|