This recipe for corn fritters is a real treat, and it’s also vegetarian plus gluten free! – made with corn, tofu, and a variety of vegetables. The corn fritter batter takes only minutes to stir together, then just drop spoonfuls into hot oil and fry for a few minutes. An easy treat that is terrific as an appetizer, snack, or finger food for a party.
INGREDIENTS Of Thai Corn Fritters (gluten-free)
- 1 tbsp ground up flax seeds
- 3 cups of corn kernels (fresh or from a can)
- 1 heaped tbsp Thai red curry paste
- 1 tsp baking powder
- approx. 115 g / ¾ cup rice flour
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- 2 fresh lime leaves
- vegetable oil, for frying
- Thai sweet chilli sauce, for serving
Also Read: Thai Mini Shrimp Lettuce Wraps
METHOD Of Thai Corn Fritters (gluten-free)
- Mix the ground flax seeds (I used golden flax seeds) with 3 tablespoons of water in a small bowl.
- Place in the refrigerator until thickened, for at least about 20 minutes (but the longer, the better). Cut the grains into ears or drain them if you use canned corn. Put half the corn in a food processor with the flax egg and all the remaining ingredients until (but not including) the kaffir lime leaves.
- Mix until you get a smooth paste. Transfer the dough to a mixing bowl. Add the other half of the corn kernels and the finely grated kaffir lime leaves and mix well. Place the mixture in the refrigerator for 30 to 60 minutes.
- If the mixture drips from the spoon after cooling, stir in 1 to 2 additional spoons of rice flour to thicken. Heat the oil in a small saucepan. Traditionally, these are fried, but you can also fry them if you wish, in which case only pour enough oil so that it reaches about 1.25 cm / 0.5 ″.
- For the fried version, scoop the dough using two tablespoons and gently place each donut in the hot oil. If the frying is shallow, make the mixture into flat patties instead. Be careful not to overload the pan as this will lower the oil temperature too much and the donuts will come out greasy.
- If frying, let the donuts resurface (they will fall to the bottom initially), then continue to turn them until they are golden on all sides.
- If the frying is shallow, simply turn them over to the other side when the first side is finished (about 2 minutes).
- Place the ready donuts on a plate lined with tea towels to absorb the extra moisture. Serve hot with a side of Thai sweet chili sauce.