You can use nearly any type of fish fillets for this recipe, including salmon, snapper, cod, or tilapia. You’ll slather them in a fragrant coconut sauce and bake them in banana leaves, tin foil, or parchment paper. Serve it with coconut rice, plain rice, or potatoes.
Ingredients Of Thai Fillet of Fish Baked in Banana Leaf
- 500 – 600 grams of boneless filleted tilapia fish
- Banana leaves for wrapping (substitute foil)
- Toothpicks for fastening
- 2 lemongrass stalks
- 1 head garlic
- 5 Thai shallots
- 10 – 20 dry thai chillies
- 3 – 5 fresh Thai bird eye chilies
- ½ of the peel of a kaffir lime
- ½ finger of turmeric
- ½ tsp salt
- All the chili paste
- 1.5 tsp salt
- sweet basil
- lemon basil
- lime leaves
Also Read: Quinoa Pizza Bites (High Protein)
Instructions Of Thai Fillet of Fish Baked in Banana Leaf
- Start preparing the chili paste. Peel the garlic and the shallots and cut the skin of the kaffir lime.
- Cut all the ingredients for the chili paste into small pieces. In a stone mortar, first add ½ teaspoon of salt, then start pounding the Thai dry peppers until you have chili flakes. Then add the fresh peppers and continue beating.
- Then add the rest of the ingredients and continue beating for about 15 minutes. You don’t have to be as smooth as a Thai curry paste, but you’re just looking for a coarse and coarse chili paste.
- You can also use a food processor or blender. If you are using whole fish, like me, cut the fish on both sides. Then cut the fish into medium sized pieces, about half the size of a deck of cards.
- In a mixing bowl, add the boneless fish, add the crushed chili paste and season with salt.
- Mix well so that all the fish is covered with chili paste.
For wrapping in banana leaves
- Tear or cut the banana leaf into pieces of 30 to 40 cm. Prepare about 12 pieces. Banana leaves have a strong side and a brittle side – keep that in mind.
- Take two pieces of banana leaf, dull white side up (shiny green side down), and quickly wipe the leaves with a damp cloth.
- Place one sheet down, then overlap another, but turn it 180 degrees. So there should be a solid edge on one side and a fragile edge on one side, but two sheets opposite to each other – a solid side and a fragile side together.
- Place a handful of fresh lemon basil and Thai basil in the center of the sheet, then garnish with a few pieces of fish and chili paste. Then tear a few kaffir lime leaves and add them to the top of the fish.
- To wrap it, fold it on one side, then on the other side, then pull on the long ends and secure them at the top of the package with a toothpick.
- It must be square or rectangular packaging. Over medium heat, grill each package for about 15 minutes.
- The outer banana leaf wrap will blister and blacken, but the fish inside will remain protected and absolutely delicious.