It tastes like those you may have tried at your favorite Thai or Vietnamese restaurant. In Thailand, pumpkin and coconut milk are commonly paired to make a variety of both savory and sweet entrées.
Ingredients Of Thai Pumpkin Coconut Soup
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 stalk of lemongrass, bruised
- 3 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
- One 15-ounce can pure pumpkin puree
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- Kosher salt
- One 14-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Thinly sliced Fresno chile, for garnish (optional)
How to Make Thai Pumpkin Coconut Soup
Step 1 In a large saucepan, heat the oil over moderate heat. Add the onion and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, lemongrass and curry paste and cook for 3 minutes. Add the pumpkin puree and broth, stirring to incorporate, then season with salt and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in coconut milk and lime juice and let cool 10 minutes.
Step 2 Transfer the soup to a blender (or use an immersion blender in the pan) and puree until smooth. If necessary, add water or broth to obtain the desired consistency. Return the mixture to the pan. Serve hot and garnish with fresh coriander and thinly sliced Fresno peppers.