Light and fluffy coconut cupcakes with a coconut buttercream frosting, covered in toasted coconut.
INGREDIENTS of toasted coconut cupcakes
FOR THE CUPCAKES:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup sweetened shredded coconut
- ½ cup unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg (at room temperature)
- 1 egg white (at room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut milk (well-stirred)
FOR THE FROSTING:
- 1 cup unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 2½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 cup toasted coconut
Whoppers Robin’s Eggs malted milk balls(optional)
Also Read: GUINNESS, WHISKEY & IRISH CREAM CUPCAKES
DIRECTIONS of toasted coconut cupcakes
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line standard muffin tins with paper tins. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
2. Mix the grated coconut in a food processor until it is finely ground and stir into the flour mixture; put aside. In an electric mixer at medium-high speed, cream the butter and sugar together until they are pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
3. Add the egg, egg white and vanilla extract and beat until well combined, scraping the sides of the bowl if necessary. Reduce the mixer speed to low. Add the flour mixture in three batches, alternating with two additions of coconut milk, and beat until combined after each.
4. Divide batter evenly between lined cups. Bake upto 20 minutes. Remove from oven, let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then remove to a rack to cool completely.
5. Make the glaze: using the whisk of a stand mixer, whip the butter at medium-high speed for 5 minutes, stopping to scrape the bowl once or twice. Reduce the speed to low speed and gradually add the powdered sugar.
6. Once all of the sugar is melt, increase the speed to medium-high and add the vanilla and coconut extracts, mixing until incorporated.
7. Whisk on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes, scraping the bowl if necessary.
8. Garnish the cupcakes: using an offset spatula, spread a pile of frosting on each cupcake and create a well in the center.
9. Place the toasted coconut in a shallow bowl. Roll the sides of the cupcake in the toasted coconut, then garnish with a few balls of Robin’s Eggs malted milk.
10. Cupcakes should be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.