You can’t go wrong with Ree’s meatless wonder. She season the tofu with salt, pepper, chili powder and soy sauce, then toss the tofu with corn and serve in a film of lettuce. A slice of avocado adds the final touch! This healthy lettuce wraps recipe is ready in 25 minutes. So long, two hours of waiting!
Ingredients of Tofu Lettuce Wraps
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons canola oil — or grapeseed oil
- 1 packages extra-firm tofu — (12- to 14-ounces), do not use silken
- 8 ounces baby bella cremini mushrooms — finely chopped
- 1 can water chestnuts — (8 ounces), drained and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic — minced
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes — omit if sensitive to spice
- 4 green onions — thinly sliced, divided
- 8 large inner leaves romaine lettuce — from a romaine heart or butter lettuce leaves
- Optional for serving: grated carrots — additional red pepper flakes
Also Read: Louise’s Lighter Lamingtons( Australian)
Instructions of Tofu Lettuce Wraps
- In a small bowl, combine the hoisin, soy sauce, rice vinegar and sesame oil. Put aside.
- Press the tofu between the paper towels to extract as much liquid as possible. Refresh the paper towels and press again.
- Heat the 2 teaspoons of canola oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, crumble the tofu and break it into very small pieces during cooking.
- Continue cooking for 5 minutes, then add the diced mushrooms. Continue cooking until the remaining tofu liquid is cooked and the tofu begins to turn golden, about 3 minutes more.
- Stir in water chestnuts, garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes and half the green onions and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds more. Pour the sauce over the top of the tofu mixture and stir to coat.
- Cook until you hear bubbles and the sauce is hot, 30 to 60 seconds.
- Pour the tofu mixture into the individual lettuce leaves.
- Garnish with the remaining green onions, grated carrots and additional red pepper flakes, as desired.