Tom kha kai or Thai coconut soup is a spicy and sour hot soup with coconut milk in Thai. This authentic recipe for Tom Kha Gai is full of amazing flavor and can be made quickly and easily on the pressure cooker.
Ingredients of Tom Kha Soup
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 white mushrooms sliced
- 1 piece ginger peeled and halved
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 stalks fresh lemongrass tough outer layers removed
- sliced green onion for garnish
- chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
Directions for Tom Kha Soup
- Cut the chicken into pieces. Heat the pan over medium heat.
- Add the oil and the chicken and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes. Salt lightly.
- The chicken will not be cooked, it will continue to cook in the soup later.
- In a saucepan, barely simmer the coconut milk and chicken broth over medium heat. Whisk to break the milk.
- Add the chicken, mushrooms, ginger, fish sauce, lime juice, cayenne powder and lemongrass.
- Simmer until the chicken is cooked and the mushrooms are tender to 15 minutes. You may need to reduce the heat.
- Sprinkle with green onion and fresh cilantro and serve steaming hot.