Tom Yum Prawns Recipe: A delicious winter recipe to cook! Boiled prawns cooked with a host of healthy and flavourful spices and herbs, served warm. Prawns are a great source of nutrients and when cooked with perfection, there is nothing as flavourful than this tom yum prawn soup! A quick and easy prawn soup recipe to warm up with in the winters!
- 2 1/2 Cup Shrimp stock (best, canned chicken stock, or water)
- 10-12 Shrimp (or 8 oz head-on and shell-on but chop the eyes part off, devein if you like)
- 3 1/2 Tbsp Lime juice
- 6 Bird’s eyes chilies (pounded)
- 3 Galangal slices
- 6 Kaffir lime leaves (bruised)
- 2 Tbsp Thai roasted chili paste
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 3 tsp Fish sauce
- 1 stalk Lemongrass (cut into 3-inch strips, pounded with a cleaver)
- 6 Straw mushrooms / Fresh oyster mushrooms / Fresh white button mushrooms (canned)
- In a pot, bring 3 cups of water to boil. Then add a big handful of shrimp/prawn heads.
- Boil the shrimp head until the water turns slightly orange in color. Press the shrimp heads with spatula to extract the “goodies” from their heads.
- Let the stock reduce to slightly more than 2 1/2 cups. Drain the shrimp stock and discard the shrimp heads.
- Add lemongrass, galangal, kaffir lime leaves, bird’s eye chilies, mushrooms, thai roasted chilli paste to the shrimp stock and bring it to boil.
- Add in the shrimp and fish sauce.
- Lastly, add the lime juice (if you add lime juice too early, the soup might turn bitter).
- Boil until the shrimps are cooked, dish out and your Tom Yum Prawns are ready to be serve hot.