Tomato and coconut soup is very easy to prepare. The combination of tomatoes and coconut brings a nice eye appeal. This soup is tangy and spicy. Worth a try!!
Preparation Time: 15 mins Cooking Time: 25 mins Total Time: 40 mins Makes 4 servings
3 cups roughly chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup grated coconut
2 green chillies
1/2 tbsp ghee
1/2 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
a pinch asafoetida (hing)
5 to 6 curry leaves (kadi patta)
1/4 tsp sugar
2 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
salt to taste
- Combine the tomatoes, coconut and green chillies along with 1 cup of water in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Allow it to cool.
- Once completely cooled blend in a blender till smooth.
- Strain the mixer in a deep bowl using a strainer and keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a deep kadhai and add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafetida and the curry leaves and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add the tomato-coconut purée, sugar, salt and coriander and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||527.9 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.6 mg|
|Vitamin C||33.7 mg|
|Folic Acid||36.7 mcg|