Turai Stir-Fry: An innovative way to enjoy turai with traditional pulses sprinkled with coconut.
Preparation Time: 5 Minutes Cooking Time: 10 Minutes Total Time: Makes 4 servings
1/4 cup chana dal (split Bengal gram)
5 cups ridge gourd (turai) slices, blanched
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
1/2 tsp urad dal (split black lentils)
1 tsp dry red chilli flakes (paprika)
1/4 cup freshly grated coconut
salt to taste
- Soak the chana dal in water for 30 minutes and then blanch it in boiling water for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Drain and discard the water. Keep the chana dal aside.
- Blanch the ridge gourd too in boiling water for 2-3 minutes.
- Drain and discard the water. Keep the ridge gourd aside.
- Heat the oil in a wok and add the mustard seeds and urad dal.
- When they crackle, add the chana dal, ridge gourd, red chilli flakes, coconut and salt and stir-fry on a high flame, for a few minutes.
- Sprinkle a little water if the mixture becomes too dry.
- Serve immediately.