Weekend markets wouldn’t be the same without Turkish Gozleme stands. Turkish Mamas with powerful arms rolling out the dough, and pretty young ladies front of house, smiling charmingly at customers. They’re incredibly delicious and full of great flavors!
- 12 – inch cast iron skillet
INGREDIENTS Of Turkish Gozleme With Lamb
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup yogurt plain
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 lb ground lamb
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp coriander ground
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp cumin ground
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper or to taste
- 6 oz spinach frozen, thawed and chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh mint chopped
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- lemon wedges and olives to serve
ALSO READ: Al kabsa receipe
INSTRUCTIONS Of Turkish Gozleme With Lamb
- Combine flour and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the center and add the yogurt and water. Continue mixing with a spoon until everything is well mixed. If the dough is too dry, adjust by adding a little more water, start with a tablespoon at a time.
- Flour your work surface and knead the dough for about 3 minutes, or until it is smooth and elastic. Cover with plastic wrap or a clean cloth and set aside.
- In a medium pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat then add the chopped onion and garlic. Saute the onion and garlic for 3 to 4 minutes or until the onion is soft and translucent. Add the ground lamb to the pan and break it with a wooden spoon.
- Cook for about 4 to 5 minutes, until golden. Stir in tomato paste, cilantro, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Add the spinach, mix everything and cook for another 2 minutes. Let the meat mixture cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, divide the dough into 4 equal portions. Roll each piece into a rectangle about 12 x 10 inches.
- Pour about 3 tablespoons of the lamb mixture in the middle of the rectangle and spread it a little. Add fresh mint, green onions, fresh parsley, 1/4 crumbled feta and chopped tomato. Fold over the edges of the dough to seal.
- Repeat with the remaining pieces of dough. Spray skillet with cooking spray and heat. Depending on the size of your pan, add 1 or 2 gozleme and cook on each side for about 3 to 4 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Spray more cooking spray as needed. Cut and serve with lemon wedges and olives.