These colorful Japanese-inspired Umai skewers are the tastiest snack of all time. They are delicious, easy and quick to prepare, perfect for any occasion to have as a starter or as a snack.
- Prep time: 10 mins
- Cook time: 10 mins
- Serves: 6
Ingredients Of Umai skewers (New Zealand Receipe)
- ½ cup miso paste
- ¼ cup mirin
- ¼ cup sake
- Red – 1 packet Jelly Bean Tomatoes
- Orange – 8 sea cuisine Raw Whole Tiger Prawns, shelled but head and tail left on
- Yellow – 1 yellow capsicum, big slices
- Green – 8 heads sweet stem broccoli
- Blue/purple – 1 Aubergine & 1 Red onion , cubed
- White – 1 block mainland haloumi, cut in 2cm cubes
- Brown – 100g shiitake mushrooms, halved
- ¼ cup sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 tbsp virgin peanut oil, for the grill plate
cast iron rectangular grill
Method Of Umai skewers
- In a bowl, mix the miso paste with the mirin and sake.
- Mix well to combine. Ingredient skewers on pre-soaked skewers (this keeps them from burning) and brush the miso mixture all over.
- Preheat the grill or barbecue to 220 ° C.
- Place the skewers on the oiled grill plate. Grill for 7-10 minutes, turning often, until cooked through and golden brown.
- Watch them while they are cooking, tomatoes can be cooked earlier.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve with a cold beer.