These rustic, deep-fried fritters made with whole-wheat flour, jaggery and banana are a popular snack from Kerala. Undan pori is best enjoyed with a hot cup of chai! These are fritters made with whole wheat flour and bananas – in other words whole wheat banana fritters. Mashed bananas and a pinch of baking soda keeps these soft and spongy while jaggery adds a little sweetness. What I love most, as a cook , that I don’t have to plan ahead. The ingredients for the batter are pretty much pantry staples. It was one of the go to recipes when kids in the neighborhood used to gather in our living room.
Ingredients Of Undan Pori
- 1 1/2 C Whole Wheat Flour See Notes
- 1/4 C Rice Flour
- 1 -2 Ripe Banana See Notes
- 1/2 C Grated Jaggery See Notes
- 1/2 C Grated Coconut See Notes
- 2 Pods Cardamom
- 1 Pinch Salt
- 1 Pinch Baking Soda
- 1/2 C Water
- Oil As Needed To Fry
ALSO READ: Homemade starbucks panini
Instructions Of Undan Pori
Take all the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well together. Add coconut and sliced banana. Mash the banana into the mix with the help of a fork or spoon. Add grated jaggery, cardamom powder and water to make a thick batter (See Notes for jaggery).
Let the batter rest for 15 minutes.
Add enough oil in a pan to cover the bottom by about 1 inch and heat. Drop a little batter into the hot oil.if it sizzles and slowly rises up to the top the oil is at thet temperature. If it burns turn the heat off and let the oil cool a little before proceeding. If there is no vigorous activity around the dropped dough the oil is not hot enough. Heat longer and try again.
Drop the batter by spoonfuls int the hot oil. Fry over medium heat flipping once or twice to brown evenly on all sides.
Remove with a slotted spoon and drain them on kitchen towels. Serve warm.
These are best served fresh. Once cooled store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 2 days. Warm before serving .
- These can be made with all purpose flour as well.
- Use ripe bananas. When using small bananas double the number.
- If using blocks of jaggery or when unsure of the purity of jaggery melt it in 1/2 C warm water and strain.
- When jaggery is not available use brown sugar.
- Fresh or dried coconut can be used in this recipe.