Crisp and buttery with a nutty and almond flavor, this recipe for delicate Austrian vanilla croissant cookies creates cookies that are pretty on a platter and are sure to please your holiday party.
Preparation time – 15 minutes
Cooking time – 12 minutes
Total time – 27 minutes
Ingredients Of Vanilla Crescents
1 cup unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
1 large egg yolk
1 cup ground nuts
1 package (1 1/2 teaspoons) vanilla sugar
3/4 cup powdered sugar
pinch of salt
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 sachet (1 1/2 teaspoons) vanilla sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
READ ALSO: Speculaas (ginger molded cookies)
Instructions Of Vanilla Crescents
1. Place all the ingredients in a large bowl and knead until smooth. The dough will be quite dry and flaky, like the shortbread cookie dough. Shape the dough into a log and wrap it in plastic wrap. Refrigerate in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
3. Cut the small pieces of dough and shape them into croissants. Place the croissants on a non-stick baking sheet or lined with parchment paper. Bake on the middle rack for 12 to 15 minutes (depending on the size of the croissants) or until the edges start to turn golden.
4. Mix the powdered sugar and the vanilla sugar. Let the cookies sit for a minute, then use a sieve to sprinkle them with vanilla powdered sugar while they are still hot. Firstly cookies cool completely then give them a second dusting.
5. Stored in an airtight container in cool place.