The ultimate loaded vegan paella! This recipe is healthy, made with fresh whole food ingredients, bursting with beautiful color thanks to the variety of vegetables we used, and one that is meant to be shared with the ones you love.
Ingredients of Vegan Paella
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bell pepper, cut into strips (we used 1/2 red and 1/2 yellow)
- ½ pound asparagus, tough ends snapped off and discarded, spears cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium potatoes, diced into medium-sized pieces
- 1 (14 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1/4–1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ tablespoon ground turmeric
- ¼ tablespoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon saffron threads
- 1/8–1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (adjust to taste)
- 1 1/2 cups white rice
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup artichoke hearts
- 1 cup green olives, pitted and sliced
- 1/2 cup green peas (fresh or frozen, thawed)
- Salt, to taste
- Lemon wedges, for garnish
Instructions of Vegan Paella
- In a large skillet (between 12-14 inches) over medium heat, add about 3 tablespoons of water.
- Once heated, add the onion and garlic and cook until translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add peppers, asparagus, potatoes and tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in paprika, turmeric, cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper and rice. Stir until uniform. Add the vegetable broth, parsley and bay leaves, then bring to a boil.
- Continue cooking over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is absorbed by the rice, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in peas and artichokes. Cover the pan, reduce the heat to low and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand covered for another 10 minutes. Stir in the olives and add the reserved olive liquid, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Serve hot with lemon wedges, if desired.