Vegemite is a popular spread in Australia, made from yeast extract, salt, and various vegetable and spice additives. Here’s a simple recipe for making your own Vegemite at home.
- 1 cup brewer’s yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons blackstrap molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground celery seed
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the brewer’s yeast and warm water. Stir until the yeast has dissolved completely.
- Add the soy sauce, tomato paste, blackstrap molasses, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and ground celery seed to the bowl. Mix well to combine all the ingredients.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender or food processor and process until smooth. You may need to stop and scrape down the sides of the blender a few times to make sure everything is evenly blended.
- Transfer the Vegemite to a clean jar or container with a tight-fitting lid. Store in the refrigerator and use within a few weeks.
This recipe is just one example of how to make Vegemite, and the exact ingredients and ratios can vary depending on personal preference. It’s also worth noting that brewer’s yeast can be difficult to find in some areas, so you may need to substitute with nutritional yeast or another type of yeast extract.