Holidays are always made more memorable by sharing a meal, and even more so when this meal is prepared together. There’s something really special about updating proven recipes to suit the tastes of your own family, so be absolutely creative with this recipe!
INGREDIENTS Of Vegetable Cornish Pasties (British)
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 30ml (2 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 1 small butternut, peeled and cut into 1cm (½ in) cubes
- 30ml (2 tbsp) white wine vinegar
- 250ml (1 cup) vegetable stock
- 30ml (2 tbsp) tomato puree
- 15ml (1 tbsp) brown sugar
- 100g (3 oz) cooked lentils
- 100g (3 oz) spinach, washed
- 1 egg, whisked
- 900g (2lbs) shortcrust pastry
Also Read: Cheddar Pudding (British)
INSTRUCTIONS Of Vegetable Cornish Pasties (British)
- Sauté the onion and garlic gently with the oil in a large saucepan until they soften.
- Add the butternut, lentils and vinegar to the pan and increase the heat until the vinegar sizzles.
- Lower the heat, add the broth and the tomato puree then stir. Let the mixture boil gently over low heat until the cooked walnut is cooked.
- If necessary, add a little water if it becomes too dry. When the cooked walnut is cooked, add the lentils and spinach and stir until the green vegetables have wilted.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let it cool. Preheat the oven 200 ° C . Roll out the dough on a floured surface.
- Using a saucer, cut out 6 shapes. Divide the filling evenly between the rounds, leaving a margin at the edges.
- Brush the dough all along the edge with beaten egg, carefully pull the two sides so that they meet at the top, then pinch them together to seal.
- Lift onto a non-stick baking sheet and brush with the rest of the icing egg.
- Bake the pastries in the oven for 15 minutes or until golden and crisp.