This year trying to include more vegetables in your diet?
This vegetable salad recipe is a summer salad that is sure to leave you feeling fresh, light and healthy. Gluten free and vegan.
This vegetarian salad mix with nuts and seeds is super healthy. The freshness of raw vegetables, the crunch of toasted nuts and the flavors of fresh herbs come together in a healthy bowl.
This cold and healthy vegetable salad is great in the summer when everything is fresh and green! Try to have this mixed vegetable salad once or twice a week for lunch or dinner.
I usually make this salad to accompany a light khichdi or a simple lentil-rice dish. Sometimes I just have a bowl of salads during these hot months with juices or smoothies. Not that we only survive on salads. I make light meals like khichdi, dalia or lentils with rice or refreshing curries like kokum curry and bottled gourd curry.
Variations you can make in a salad
- I added vegetables like carrots, cucumber, radishes, spring onions and tomatoes to this salad. You can also add your choice of fresh vegetables or sprouts.
- Even lightly steamed vegetables like broccoli, green beans or cooked corn, cauliflower and baby corn can be added.
- Also, you can add your own choice of dried fruits and seeds. I added what I had at home.
To include salads in the diet is a very important and healthy practice.
Vegetable salad ingredients
▢ 1 medium sized carrots
▢ 1 medium-sized cucumber
▢ 0.5 small tender white Indian radish
▢ 0.5 large tomato
▢ 1 to 1.5 new onion
▢ 0.5 or 1 tablespoon of pumpkin seeds
▢ 0.5 tablespoon of roasted sunflower seeds
▢ 0.25 tablespoon sesame seeds
▢ 0.5 tablespoon chopped cashews or whole cashews
▢ 0.5 tablespoon chopped almonds, optional
▢ 0.5 tablespoon chopped pistachios
▢ 0.5 tablespoon of walnuts
▢ 0.25 or 0.5 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
▢ 0.25 or 0.5 teaspoon lemon juice
▢ 1.5 to 2 fresh Italian basil, chopped
▢ Provencal herbs as needed
▢ 0.5 teaspoon celery, finely chopped
▢ salt as needed
▢ pepper as needed
- First, rinse all the vegetables. Peel and chop the carrots, radishes and cucumber.
- Chop the tomatoes. Finely chop the spring onions. Take all the vegetables in a bowl.
- Heat a pan and dry roast all the seeds and nuts until crisp and lightly golden. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk all the dressing ingredients well. Into the bowl, pour the dressing with the vegetables.
- Mix well so that the vegetables are coated with the dressing. Sprinkle with roasted seeds and dried fruits.
- Serve the vegetable salad immediately.