Colorful, sweet, and savory, these vegetable hand rolls are the perfect light fare for parties or for lunch! The directions to fold a hand roll are a bit difficult to describe without photos, so I did my best to visualize the process. Start from the bottom right, and work your way to the left!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
INGREDIENTS of Veggie Sushi Hand Roll
- 1 cup (180g) uncooked sushi rice
- 3 TBS sushi seasoning
- 10 sheets toasted sushi nori (seaweed)
- 1/2 English cucumber or 2 Persian cucumbers
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 6 oz (170g) preserved daikon
- 2 medium fuyu persimmons (optional)
- 2 small avocados, pitted and sliced
- furikake for topping (optional)
Also Read: Hyderabadi Chicken Spring Rolls
INSTRUCTIONS of Veggie Sushi Hand Roll
- Cook the sushi rice.
- When cooked, put the cooked rice in a large bowl and let it cool for about 15 minutes. Mix the sushi seasoning.
- While the rice cooks, prepare the vegetables by cutting them into matches. If you want to add persimmons in the hand rolls, peel the persimmons and cut them into matches.
- Cut the nori leaves in half. Place one half of the nori sheet on a board. Pour rice over the nori (about 2 to 3 tablespoons).
- Spread the rice to fill half the nori. Garnish the nori with a few slices of cucumber, red pepper, daikon and persimmon.
- Garnish with a slice of avocado and shake furikake over it.
- Starting at the bottom right corner, roll the nori to the left until the end.
- Seal the hand roller with a few grains of rice.
- Repeat with all the other nori leaves. Serve immediately.
1. You want to serve these immediately because the seaweed loses its crunch very quickly.