The fasting season can be tiresome and boring without the spice food and delicacies, to minimize your cravings of mid time snacks we have this fermented dhokla made with samwat chaawal.
- Region: Indian
- Dish: Vegetarian – Breakfast/Tiffins/Snacks
- Servings: 4
Ingredients of Vratwala Chawal Dhokla
- 3/4 cup samwat ke chawal
- 1 cup sour yogurt
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- Green chillies paste to taste
- 1 tsp sendha namak (rock salt)
- 2 tsp oil/ghee
- 2 whole dry red peppers
- 6-7 curry leaves
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Grated coconut and fresh coriander for garnish
Directions of Vratwala Chawal Dhokla
- Roast the rice in a saucepan very lightly and do not let it brown.
- Prepare the dough by mixing rice, rock salt, chili paste, ginger paste and yogurt. Let the mixture ferment overnight. Should become a bit spongy.
- Grease a can with little ghee and transfer the dough to it.
- Place the mold in the steamer and cook for 20 minutes.
- Test if it is done and let it cool.
- To make the seasoning.
- Heat the ghee in a saucepan. Add cumin, red pepper and curry leaves. Now pour it over the dhokla.
- Cut the dhokla into serving pieces and serve garnished with cilantro and coconut.
A fermented dhokla made with samwat chaawal (Special rice used during the festival of Navaratri). Tempered with whole red chillies, cumin, ghee and curry leaves.