Whole Wheat Pizza Base: This is a healthier alternative to the basic pizza base as it packs in the goodness of whole wheat flour. Whole wheat flour is used for the dough with either fresh or dried yeast, whichever is more convenient. But when using dried yeast, use 1/2 the quantity of fresh yeast dissolved in warm water. Be sure to knead the dough very thoroughly until the dough is springy, smooth and elastic. Pizzas do not necessarily have to be round. Some are large ovals, some are square and others known as pizzettes are baked as smaller individual circles. So you can shape the pizza base the way you like!
Preparation Time: Baking Time: 15 minutes Baking Temperature: 180° C (360°F) Cooking Time: Total Time: Makes 4 pizza bases
1 1/2 cupswhole wheat flour (gehun ka atta)
1 tsp dry yeast
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp sugar
salt to taste
whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta) for rolling
- Combine 2 tbsp of lukewarm water and dry yeast in a bowl and mix well.
- Cover with a lid and keep aside for 5 minutes.
- Combine the whole wheat flour, yeast-water mixture, olive oil, sugar and salt in a deep bowl and knead into a soft dough using enough water.
- Cover the dough with a wet muslin cloth and keep aside for 1 hour.
- Press the dough lightly to remove the air and divide the dough into 4 equal portions.
- Roll each portion into a 175 mm. (7”) diameter circle with the help of whole wheat flour for rolling and prick each circle evenly using a fork.
- Place 2 circles on a greased baking tray and bake in a pre-heated oven at 180°c (360°f) for 5 minutes.
- Repeat step 7 to bake 2 more pizza base.
Nutrient values per pizza base
|Vitamin A||45.5 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1.7 mg|
|Vitamin C||0 mg|
|Folic Acid||14.5 mcg|