Preparation Time: Cooking Time: Total Time: Makes 6 servings
1 cup masoor dal (split red lentil)
salt to taste
2 tsp cornflour
1/2 cup low fat curds (dahi)
1/2 cup low fat milk (99.9% fat-free , readily available in the market)
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1 bayleaf (tejpatta)
2 tbsp finely chopped onions
2 tbsp finely chopped tomatoes
1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1 tbsp red paste
2 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania) for the garnish
- Clean, wash and soak the masoor dal in water for 2 to 3 hours. Drain and keep aside.
- Combine the dal, salt and 2 cups of water in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid and whisk the dal. Keep aside.
- Combine together the cornflour, curds and milk in a bowl and whisk well till it is smooth. Keep aside.
- Heat a non-stick pan on a medium flame and when hot, add the cumin seeds and bayleaf and dry roast for about 30 seconds.
- Lower the flame, add the onions, tomatoes, turmeric powder and red paste and dry roast for a few minutes stirring continuously. Sprinkle a little water if the mixture starts burning.
- Add the cooked dal, cornflour paste and 1 cup of water, mix well and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes or till the dal thickens.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.